Saturday 1 September 2018

More French and Egypt - FRC 3s Mamelukes


I had never seen this figure before but this morning 45 of them arrived from eBay. They are the proper French Revolution and Egyptian Campaign Range Mamelukes, and are particularly welcome as they will provide  a substantial number of cavalry for my S Range Egyptian army, which (similarly to the French I admit) has been overdependent on camelry - FRC 4s Arabs for the Egyptians and FRC 1s Dromedary Troopers for the French.

When I first saw the listing on eBay I passed it by as I thought they were the Guard Mamelukes from the general French Napoleonic Range. As I already had plenty of these, both in S Range and Hinton Hunt, and Napoleon himself only ever had about 200 at any given time, I didn't think much more about it. However, thankfully, on the closing day for the auction I looked at the photos again and saw they were all carrying small round shields which meant they are the proper Egyptian Campaign Range ones. I had to bid strongly for them but I am very pleased to get them.

The photo is a comparison shot - the two figures on the left (the unpainted ones) are FRC 3s Mamelukes from the French Revolution and Egyptian Campaign Range, while the two painted figures on the right are FNC 6s Guard Mamelukes from the general French Napoleonic range.

Identifying features for the Egyptian Campaign figures are that not only do they have a small round shield carried on their left arm they also have a musket slung on their backs.

I had never seen this figure before so am very pleased to have acquired them - just need to face up to the prospect of painting some or all of them now.